Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

On this day I want to remember all those I've lost in my life and those who have served in our country and are still with us today. I have a few veterans in my family, my Papa Clyde was in the Navy in 1944 and 1945, I don't know specific stories about his time served but I do know in his short time in the Navy he did go over seas and was part of a group of men who would build airports in a short amount of time for their makeshift naval bases. My cousin Dixon Harper served in the Marines from 2003 to 2007, he served 3 tours in Iraq, was a sniper in his final tour.These two men are hero's for what they've done. I have a great Uncle Loy who is a WWII veteran as well. I remember sitting on my grandmother's back porch with him and he telling me stories of when he was overseas. He will be turning 91 in a few months. I got to see him this previous weekend and he truely is an american icon. My father-in-law, Jeff Brown Jr, is a retired from the Air Force, he has also served overseas many times and is a Vietnam Veteran. Also Jeff Brown Sr, is a veteran of war, I'm not sure as much about what he did or where he served but i do know he was part of the Tuskegee Airmen, if you don't know what that is CLICK HERE.

People I've lost very close and dear to me are both sets of my grandparents. My dad's parents,

Willard and Wilma Moore. picture on the left. We called them grandpa and grandma, Grandpa(age 75) left us in 2003 to non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Grandma left us in 2007 due to heart problems.

My mom's parents, seen to the right. Clyde and Joy Harper. We called them Papa Clyde and Momma Lou, her middle name is Louise. She is the woman I named my second son after, her full name is Joy Louise 'Dixon' Harper. We lost Papa Clyde(age 64) in 1990 to Lung Cancer I believe. We lost Momma Lou (age 66) in 1997 to other complications. Both sets of my grandparents are missed dearly buy all of us.

Someone I lost back in 1999 is Kami Ott, she was a childhood friend of mine. She was only 17 years old. Her and some friends were coming home from a late night movie and she reached down in the floor board to get a CD she'd dropped and when she came back up she over corrected cause she was going off the road and her truck started flipping. She had taken off her seatbelt to get the CD so therefore she was ejected from the truck. A dear friend of mine, Felicia Fortune has named her newborn baby Kami Deanne in Kami's memory. Those two were BEST of friends and Felicia was supposed to go with them that night but decided not to. I unfortunately do not have any photo's of Kami I wish I did.

Another person who we've lost is my mother-in-law, I never got to meet her but I hear she was an outstanding woman. Patrcia Ann 'Gracey' Brown, she lost her battle to breast cancer 21 years ago. From what my husband tells me she didn't go down without a fight. She fought every bit of that cancer till her last day. I hate I never got to meet her but I know I will someday and I will cherish that day. We talk about her often so the boys know who she was.

On this memorial day I pray for our soldiers who are over seas to be safe and come home safely. I also pray for those who are moarning the loss of a loved one that their hearts not ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment